Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Apology


I have not been able to sleep at night because of a statement I made. For the record, no one complained to me or asked me to apologize, it's just that, I know that I would not follow through on my own statement. I said "what if we all stopped shopping in Pacifica". I want to apologize to all business in Pacifica for making that statement. Now for the truth.
The truth is, I try not to shop OUT of Pacifica. I am a bit of a snob and only like the best that life can afford me. I am partial to family owned and start up business. I HATE big box stores (except Safeway). I get nervous if I am forced to shop in one.Growing up poor it was always the small and/or family owned business's that would allow me to purchase some food and pay later, big box stores won't do that (except our Safeways). I like to walk into these private sector family owned business's and see familiar faces.  People that know me and  family. Business' that will give that local kid a chance. I am comforted knowing they are there when I need them.

I also like how Pacifica looks. I like Manor. I enjoy shopping there. I have used all business' in Manor since I was a kid. I love them all. Pyramid does not bother me. Not one bit. 
When my children were younger, music lessons at Manor Music, and, I would go to the chinese deli and get a snack. Funny thing is, I call it "chinese deli", right next door to Green Enchilada. I still don't know the name of the place, but it's one of my favorites. I have so many favorites in Pacifica.

Cooking and caring for a large family I get all I need here in Pacifica.

Save More Meats
Mazzetti's Bakery
Colombo's Deli
rest and stop for a coffee at Chit Chat Cafe. If your up for some excitement, the pier coffee shop is an adventure.
finish at Safeway and Rite Aid in Linda Mar, although, on occasion I use Manor Safeway.
If your family has a special occasion , take the family to one of our finer restaurants; Valleymar Station, Nick's, Tam's For a more casual atmosphere, we go to La Playa, Round Table in Linda Mar. These places have lots of room for larges family's. We use them all.

I also like and use business on Palmetto. We have the French Patisserie , knowing that some of the best french desserts are being made in Pacifica, makes me brag to outsiders. They sell wholesale to biggger grocery stores and restaurants. Excellent desserts.

Our Surf Shops, Tait's on Crespi, love that place and Nor Cal in Pedro Point makes that area extra special.
Our Hardware Stores, I use them both.
Cleaners
My favorite Jewelry store, Jewels Forever. I can't say enough good things about that business. Beautiful gifts and they repair your jewelry and watches.

Banking needs, Ins. Co's, Lawyers, Tax Preparers. City Arms Gun Store. In Pacifica.
I could go on and on, but that would take all day. I even shop in Fairmont and Sharp Park. There is not much I would change about Pacifica, except two things; 1) Add a Movie Theater and Ice Rink
                  2)City Council - the balance of power is unbalanced. Too many environmentalists on city council that cater only to the small group of environmentalists in Pacifica. We need small business owners and medium sized business owners on city council. It's not that I am against environmentalists, my children argue with me that I am one of them. But, there are some that go to far to the extreme with their ideology. I feel they want to control every aspect of our lives. I don't like that. I am a responsible citizen and do not need a baby sitter and I think that's what they want to do.  They tell me how to build my home, what I can and cannot do in my home, tell me how to behave on the beach. ENOUGH! The statement I made about not paying your property taxes, I meant it! I know the consequences, but that is my level of frustration. My frustration is elevated when I talk to other locals and listen to their complaints about how city council is handling their personal business.

I love Pacifica and the people, it is THE best place to raise your kids. There....I feel better now.

Submitted by Kathleen Rogan

14 comments:

Jeffrey W Simons said...

Thanks for sharing that, Kathleen. I don't always agree with your views, but I know you're a good person who contributes much to the community.

Isn't it kind of funny that this City Council wants to intrude on everyone's property rights . . . except when its a building falling off the edge of a cliff? Seems to me that would be the only time, as a property owner, that I wouldn't mind them meddling.

Jeffrey W Simons said...

I would add Coastside Comics to that list. I loved taking my son there on warm summer days and just browsing . . .

Anonymous said...

Can't find the original thread. Anyone?

As I recall, Kathy and Anonymous both pushed back on what you said.

Anonymous said...

Ah, found it. http://fixpacifica.blogspot.com/2010/01/cnbc-profiles-r-donahue-peebles-for-i.html?showComment=1263314849405#c6262721214274169229

Anonymous wrote, "As to your personal response, things are bad so make them worse? Seriously? Are you really this unhappy living here?"

Kathy wrote, "PS: Kathleen, good to protest, but do pay your taxes on time, otherwise penalties apply (not good for you)."

I had it wrong. She didn't call you on the carpet about the shopping.

Kathy Meeh said...

No worries, even Councilmember Lancelle said she's shopping in Pacifica more often, because the city needs the tax revenue.

If only this 8 year city council had chosen to equate economic development and a successful city infrastructure for "all our people" our city would be much better off today. And, there's no excuses for them not doing that, except for their "no growth" ideology and back house agenda which yet may be fatal to the existence of this city.

8 years of significant economic development opportunities lost, major productive land parcels removed from this city, people here told everything is swell. No need for you to apologize Kathleen. The apology and resignation should come from 8 year city council now that they've completed their narrowly conceived work. Their mission is accomplished, and the rest of us get to live with it.

Kathleen Rogan said...

Other than some empty stores and bad roads, I think Pacifica is beautiful and have many many memories of good times. I miss many of the old business that are gone. But, I do know that nothing lasts forever. I am one who does need progress, it makes for a brighter future and you feel good about waking up in the morning.

To Jeff, I used to go in that comic book store all the time with my kids. We still have all of our comic books.

And, final final, I forgot to mention Sharp Park Golf Course, where I had my golf lessions. Ooooo,,, soo many stories hanging out there with friends,lol, makes me smile. My first golf tournament was played there. Boy, was I bad.

ian butler said...

Kathleen I appreciate that you took time to write this apology. As individuals we have limited power to effect the changes that we might like, but one thing we can all do is support our local businesses.

Also, I hope you were serious about coming to the Rockaway beach cleanup on the 6th. We will be meeting at the South end parking lot at 9:00.

Kathleen Rogan said...

I am. I was serious. I have been bothered by the nurdles. One thing I keep thinking about is how would one scoop up all those particles. As a mother my mind works this way. All I do , is pick up. I was thinking something that looks like a sand toy to clean it up. What would or what do you use?

Zombie Rockaway Sue said...

I try to shop in Daly City/Colma as much as I can.

Want Papa Murphy's? Try getting a parking spot.
Shop at a Supermarket? How much of the stuff you buy doesn't make into your bag going into the crap at the end with all the other crap. Manor Safeway and Lucky are the worst.
Try to shop at the Manor Hardware store on a weekday and you end up frustrated and driving to Colma.
Try and get a breakfast burrito before noon on a weekend and you go to El Faro in So City.
Too hard to shop here.

ian butler said...

Kathleen,
At the Waterfall, which is difficult to get to, there is usually more litter than I can carry out, so I just get "low hanging fruit", i.e. the biggest and easiest stuff to pick up, like plastic bottles, tennis balls and large Styrofoam. That has kept me pretty busy. But I think the easiest way to get the small bits would be with a broom and dust pan when they are dry.

The Rockaway cleanup will be a lot easier, with safe access, quite a few volunteers and not so much debris. We look forward to seeing you.

Anonymous said...

Ian, please level with us. Are you planning or considering running for City Council?

ian butler said...

Absolutely not. I believe that an effective Council member needs to have an understanding of all of the issues affecting our city. I am only versed in certain areas that I happen to find interesting, such as environmental and local media issues. (For instance my eyes glaze over when it comes to finances.)

Also, this weekend my song "The Ballad of Dildo the Clown" will be airing on national radio (Dr.dememnto.com), which probably rules me out as a viable candidate any time soon.

But if term limits passes, I would like to be the first to declare my candidacy for 2018!

Anonymous the Clown said...

Ian, actualy being a "dildo clown" totally qualifies you for a seat on the current Council.

Kathleen Rogan said...

I remember Dr. Demento. Where is that from?