Thursday, January 8, 2015

Remembering those pesky canvas or synthetic bags


Safeway has increased their paper bag cost to 25 cents; Rite Aid paper bag cost is still 10 cents for now. 

Green is good, but some of us still forget
to carry our grocery bags from time to time
Pacifica Tribune/Horace Hinshaw, Editor in Chief,  1/7/14. "How I see it."

.... "Are you carrying your bag with you to the grocery store? I hate to admit it but I frequently forget to carry the bag with me. I realize my mistake when I get into the store, but thinking I'm not getting too many items - and not wanting to return to the car - I just purchase the items and carry them to the car in my arms. Yes, I do drop some items on my walk to the car. 

We've been paying 10-cents per bag when purchased at retailers since April 2013 when San Mateo County implemented the plastic bag ban, but beginning Jan. 1 the price went to 25 cents per bag. The rise was not unexpected as the price increase was written into the original ordinance.  I'm keeping bags in the car now.

RelatedState of CA/Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr., 9/30/14,"Governor Brown signs legislation to ban single-use plastic bags". SACRAMENTO – Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. today signed the nation’s first statewide ban on single-use plastic bags – SB 270 – aligning state law with ordinances passed by a growing number of local governments in California to reduce plastic waste. “This bill is a step in the right direction – it reduces the torrent of plastic polluting our beaches, parks and even the vast ocean itself,” said Governor Brown. “We’re the first to ban these bags, and we won’t be the last.” The legislation, authored by Senator Alex Padilla (D-Pacoima), prohibits grocery stores and pharmacies from distributing single-use plastic bags after July 2015 and enacts the same ban for convenience stores and liquor stores the following year. It will also provide up to $2 million in competitive loans – administered by CalRecycle – to businesses transitioning to the manufacture of reusable bags."   

Related articles -  Huffington Post articles, "California Plastic Bag Ban".  Note photograph from Maggie McGee goes green blog.

Posted by Kathy Meeh

No comments: