Saturday, July 21, 2012

House fire in north Pacifica likely ignited by a cigarette

Condolences for this family's tragic loss, April 1st, 2012. Christian, the great-grandson was only age 13. Virgen, the great-grandfather may have fallen asleep while smoking. 

San Mateo County Times/Joshua Melvin, 7/19/12.  "Human error likely sparked fatal Pacifica house fire, report says."

Leaving a cigarette unattended is a mistake
"Due to lack of evidence, officials can't say for sure what sparked a Pacifica house fire that killed two people in April, but they say the cause was likely "human error," according to a report released this week.

The report does not say how the April 1 blaze -- which killed Christian Haro, 13, and Javier Virgen, 90 -- started in the home on the 500 block of Inverness Drive. But it does note Virgen slept in the area where the fire apparently began and had been known to smoke cigarettes in the house. 

According to the report, the fire sparked at the south end of a couch under a north facing living room window. In addition to burn damage, investigators relied on witness accounts in making their judgment."  Read Article.

Posted by Kathy Meeh

No comments: