Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Dangerous surf at Pacifica beach claims another victim, officials to put up new signs

 
By Joshua Melvin
San Mateo County Times
Updated: 03/30/2010 11:22:43 PM PDT
 

City officials plan to put up strongly worded warning signs on a beach that has been the site of three drowning deaths since the end of January — a beach referred to as the "people eater" by one resident Tuesday.

The San Mateo County coroner's office is working to identify the body of a man that washed ashore in Pacifica on Tuesday morning. But Coroner Robert Foucrault said it's too early to tell whether it is that of Redwood City resident Richard Serrano Jr., 44, who disappeared in the waters off Sharp Park Beach on March 18.

Pacifica City Manger Steve Rhodes said the new signs will be similar to those posted at San Francisco beaches warning visitors that people have drowned there. The signs, which should be up by the end of the week, come in response to a recent string of deaths that have served as a reminder of the danger that exists at coastal beaches, which are subject to strong currents and pounding waves.

Pacifica resident Joe Ettore, who was reading near Pacifica Pier on Tuesday morning, said he spends a lot of time at Sharp Park Beach and knows it's dangerous. The 44-year-old, who has worked as a crab fisher in the Bering Sea, said he frequently sees people get knocked down and pulled under by waves. He added that one of the most dangerous spots is a couple of hundred yards south of the pier.

"I call it the people eater," he said. "A lot of people lose their lives here."

Read more...

Posted by Steve Sinai

4 comments:

Here's your sign said...

How bout a sign for the sun is hot, ice is cold, water is wet???

I've got your sign said...

@Here's your sign:

You're right. Some things are SO obvious you certainly don't need a sign. God was considering putting a sign on your forehead stating "Caution, this person's brain is smaller than it might appear", but even he thought it was too obvious.

signs, signs, everywhere signs said...

And the sign says "Long-haired freaky people need not apply"
So I put my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why
He said you look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do
So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that, huh, me working for you"

[Chorus:]
Signs, signs, everywhere there's signs
Blockin' up the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign

And the sign says "Anybody caught trespassing will be shot on sight"
So I jumped the fence and I yelled at the house
Hey! What gives you the right!
To put up a fence and keep me out, or to keep Mother Nature in
If God was here, he'd tell it to your face, man, you're some kind of sinner

[Chorus]

Oh, say now mister, can't you read
You got to have a shirt and tie to get a seat
You can't watch, no you can't eat, you ain't supposed to be here

And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" - uh!

[Solo]

And the sign says "Everybody welcome, come in, kneel down and pray"
But then they passed around a plate at the end of it all
And I didn't have a penny to pay
So I got me a pen and a paper and I made up my own fuckin' sign
I said, "Thank you Lord for thinking 'bout me, I'm alive and doing fine", oh

[Chorus 2x]

Yes! Some old song, called "Signs Signs", I wish we did write that one, but
We didn't - wow!

Alright

Kathy Meeh said...

Not everyone understands the dangers of undertow conditions, or how dangerous the surf is in that location. The signs will be good reminder for all, including those who are unaware of these conditions. Of interest is how many of these lives lost were from inland cities.