Sunday, November 22, 2009

The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza: 11/22/63 Memorial





I recently had the opportunity to visit The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealy Plaza, the Texas School Book Depository from which Lee Harvey Oswald shot and killed President John F Kennedy on November 22, 1963.  The museum offers displays on the lifestyle and the politics of the era, as well as many informative notes about events leading up to the assassination, the ensuing investigation, and the controversy and conspiracies that exist to this day.  Below are some pictures I took of the plaza, the "grassy knoll", and the X that marks the actual spot where JFK was shot.

- JEFFREY W SIMONS


DEALY PLAZA, BOOK DEPOSITORY


GRASSY KNOLL



X MARKS THE SPOT

3 comments:

Kathy Meeh said...

Thanks Jeff, was wondering when you would post something related to the President Kennedy assassination tragedy today. There were several discussions on C-span TV today. Wow, your personal pictures are appreciated and a real bonus. Looks like a clear shot from the book depository. Several hours of that day remain seared into my memory.

Will advise others to see this post to get a better picture of how that could happen.

Jeffrey W Simons said...

I'll take any who visits me here to see the plaza and tour the museum. A very potent reminder of what happens when the national political dialogue advocates violence towards our elected officials, especially the office of the President of the United States. What really amazed me was the outpouring of support for JFK in the traditionally conservative Dallas area after the assassination, and the willingness to memorialize a national tragedy on the spot where it happened.

My mother (Dolly) went on the tour with me, and she had never spoken to me before about where she was when she heard the tragic news (it never occurred to me to connect the dots that my eldest sister was born on 12/13/63 so my mother was 8-1/2 months pregnant at the time). A very sad moment in American history, but hopefully one from which this nation can learn.

ian butler said...

In a side note, Pacifica was incorporated on November 22nd, 1957, 6 years to the day before the Kennedy assasination. (Oh, and Scarlet Johansen was born on the same date a few years later.)