Friday, October 9, 2009

Impressions of Pacifica

City leaders and local hippies keep saying that people from outside Pacifica are jealous of our beautiful beaches, beautiful hills, and beautiful serpents.  How come I never hear things like that from outsiders? When I tell them I live in Pacifica, they either ask "Where's Pacifica?" (even long-time Bay Area residents ask that); "Pacifica? Isn't there some bar there called Winters?"; or they give me a pitiful, "Aw, that's too bad!" look, as if I just told them I lived in North Korea or Zimbabwe.

The following is more typically the impression outsiders have of Pacifica. It was taken from a Yelp review of the 24 Hour Fitness in Pacifica. The reviewer, Leslie Y. from SF, had some amusing things to say about our city with no identity:

"Coming here, I exited off Manor coming from SF, and didn't know where to go from there so I decided to just go straight (should of made a left).  Driving down Pacifica, I felt like I was in a zombie movie.  Pacifica is like a ghost town!  They have their own little SafeWay and a WHOLE bunch of little mom and pop stores.  The town seems so isolated and you don't see much people walking around.  It reminds me of those zombie movies - just when you think there isn't much people in the town, you realize that they're all inside hiding because you see a swarm of zombies coming at you from the opposite direction.  AHHHH!!! The weather of Pacifica says it too - Dawn of the Dead - Pacifica version."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow -- if the worst that can be said is that we have mom and pop stores (versus a bunch of chains and big box businesses) and there are not a lot of people clogging up the streets, then this confirms my thoughts that Pacifica is a GREAT place to live!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like that yelper prefers a world of mini-malls. Thanks local hippies for not turning us into Daly City.

Scotty said...

Thanks local NIMBYs for taking the most simple-minded view of everything and in the process bankrupting our city.