Tuesday, February 28, 2012

City councilman Vreeland resigns - health reason undisclosed


San Mateo Times/Joshua Melvin, 2/27/12.  "Health problems force resignation of longtime Pacifica Councilman Jim Vreeland."

"Longtime Pacifica City Councilman Jim Vreeland resigned Monday, citing unspecified health problems that have left him unable to carry out his official duties.  In his one-paragraph letter, Vreeland, a councilman since 1998, said his departure is effective immediately. His term runs through 2014.

Jim Vreeland
"Serving the people of the city of Pacifica for the past 15 years has been the greatest honor of my life," Vreeland, 49, wrote. "My family and I appreciate your understanding during this difficult time."
Vreeland didn't respond to messages seeking comment. City Manager Steve Rhodes and Mayor Pete DeJarnatt said they did not know anything about the three-time former mayor's illness.

"I only wish I were able to continue (serving) at the high level I expect from myself, and that the city deserves," Vreeland wrote.

Questions have swirled for months about Vreeland's health and political future as he accumulated both excused and unexcused absences from council meetings. The most recent was Feb. 14 and led to a hearing being delayed on the appeal of a 96-unit assisted care facility.

"I'm saddened by it. He's been a friend," DeJarnatt said. "I wish it weren't happening." The council must now decide whether to appoint someone to finish Vreeland's term or to hold an election in November when two other board members are up for new terms."

Posted by Kathy Meeh

No comments: