Wednesday, October 14, 2009

My letter to Mayor Newsom





Hello Mayor Newsom, I would like to congratulate you on the success of the 2009 Presidents Cup at Harding Park this past weekend. I was a volunteer at the event as a greenside laser operator. I also watched the opening ceremonies and was pleased to see the captains, players and Tim Finchem all praising the hard work done by you and Sandy Tatum in bringing the PGA to San Francisco.

As you know, we have a fight on our hands at Sharp Park. A group of environmentalists are trying to shut us down. Sharp Park is home to a club of over 350 members. Most of these are SF residents. We also have one of the, if not the most diverse group of members. People of ages, races and genders enjoy Sharp Park and all it has to offer. We have a monthly club tournament that draws an average number of players between 100-120 players each month.

I urge you, on the heels of the success enjoyed by all at the Presidents Cup to fight with us to keep Sharp Park a full 18 hole course. The following I think says it all.

"Golf at the highest level and the beginning level should be at public courses."
Robert Trent Jones Jr., golf course architect, on the significance of playing at Harding Park.

I thank you for your time and invite you to witness firsthand all of Sharp Park Golf Course’s significance.

Please join me at Sharp Park at anytime you wish for a tour.

Butch Larroche
Sharp Park Golf Tournament Director

1 comment:

Gavin "Rocky Roads" Newsom said...

Dear Butch,

Thanks for the generous invitation. Unless your interests involve same sex marriage, taxing businesses right out of the City limits, harnessing wave power off of Ocean Beach (I beat Vreeland to it!), padding my Swiss based gubernatorial campaign slush fund, porking my campaign manager's wife (again, I was sick at the time - it wasn't my fault), turning over all of the City's open space to the GGNRA (just like Pacifica), or biologically sustainable hair gel, fahgettaboudit!

Toodles,
Gavin