Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Beware EBay Scams

A few days ago, I ordered a book from a seller on Ebay for a little under $17. It turns out the seller was a scammer who had figured out how to post offerings on EBay.

EBay sent me an email saying that since the seller was unauthorized, they wouldn't help me try to get my money back. I don't know how you're supposed to tell if a seller is unauthorized or not, but dealing with EBay (and EBay-owned PayPal) after their security failures was more irritating than getting ripped-off in the first place.

Beware of EBay. Empty-suit Meg Whitman won't be getting my vote for Governor - not that I was planning to vote for her anyway.

Posted by: Steve "The Victim" Sinai

3 comments:

Kathy Meeh said...

Sorry you're out $17 bucks Steve. That's probably the last $17 a scammer will get from you. If Meg Whitman doesn't run for Governor, you won't be able to not vote for her though.

Amazon new or used books seem to arrive here and without a problem.

Jeffrey W Simons said...

and yet eBay probably still collected a fee from you and the seller. I used to love eBay when I bought and sold comic books for a few years, but back then it still had a more "small shop" feeling. Meg Whitman raised fees and changed the business model of eBay to cater to larger scale sellers (which I guess was good for eBay), but their enforcement of fraud went right down the tubes after that. Sorry man, but I agree with Kathy. I do most of my business on amazon or at Barnes & Noble.

Steve Sinai said...

I've never tried buying a book off EBay before, but being a cheap guy, I went for the book that was $1 cheaper on EBay than at Amazon.

I've never had problems with Amazon or Barnes and Noble, either.