Sunday, January 20, 2013

Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Monday, January 21, 2013


The "I have a dream" speech: 
1963  video, 17:28 minutes.  10 little know facts about MLK, 1:50 minutes.  Huffington Post, 1/15/12, (1)
1963 text. "Christian Science Monitor, 1/18/10, (2)

Martin Luther King Jr. 1/15/29 - 4/4/68
Various quotations: 
" Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." –letter from Birmingham jail, April 16, 1963. (2)   
  "I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. That is why right, temporarily defeated, is stronger than evil triumphant."  Nobel Peace Prize Acceptance Speech, Dec. 10, 1964.  (2) 
.     "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." (3)
.     "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." (3)
   "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." (3)
.     "We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools." (3) 

.   ""Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the Promised Land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land!"   I've Been To The Mountaintop, 1968.  (4)

(1)  Huffington Post, 1/15/12,  Martin Luther King Jr. quotes:  famous quotations from MLK's speeches, letters and sermons.
(2)  Christian Science Monitor, 1/18/10, "Ten Martin Luther King Jr. quotes," includes the "I have a dream" speech text. 
(3)  Huffington Post, updated 5/25/11, "Martin Luther King Jr. quotes:  Famous sayings for MLK Day 2010".
(4)  Huffington Post/Religion, updated 5/25/11, "10 Martin Luther King, Jr. Quotations." (reprint from prior years with note from the editor)

Posted by Kathy Meeh

No comments: