Tuesday, January 12, 2010
San Mateo County 2009 top ten political stories
Article received from Jeff Simons, information reviewed and summarized by Kathy Meeh
Bruce Balshone, San Mateo Public Policy Examiner
1. Pay-Gate in Daly City - Worst politics in award. City Manager Pat Martel, slashed the salary of newly elected City Clerk Annette Hipona 50%.
2. Sharp Park Golf Course Retained - study proves that human golf recreation and habitat are very compatible.
3. Civil Grand Jury tackles on county government - advises San Mateo County Board of Supervisors to change from an "at-large" elected to "district" similar to all other CA counties.
4. Hard times bring harsh budgets tax base struggles - 4 elections, 20 local tax increase measures, 5 failed. Cow Palace may not survive the economic downturn.
5. lawsuit - Menlo Park and Atherton joining environmentalist to prevent access through their cities.
6. Jerry Hill's Half Moon Bay bailout bill fails - the State did not provide a $10 million loan to Half Moon to help pay-off the $18 million Keenan lawsuit.
7. The year of the Asian American candidate - Asian presence in public office is acknowledged.
8. insurance and worker's compensation indictment, 12 counts - Maggie Gomez pleading not guilty (case heard 1/27/10).
9. Burlingame retires 20 year veteran Councilmember Rosalie O;'Mahony, issue: entrenched and out-of-touch http://www.mercurynews.com/elections/ci_13714580
10. retires - 25 year Tax Collector Lee Buffington- County investment pool management related to Lehman Brothers collapse.
Posted by Kathy Meeh