Sunday, September 16, 2012

Candidates Questionnaire: Why do you want to run for office and what are your main goals?


The Pacifica Chamber of Commerce submitted 12 questions to each of the candidates for Pacifica City Council. Every week we will be posting two questions, and the answers from each of the candidates.


Question 1. Why do you want to run for office and what are your main goals?

Karen Ervin - 4-year seat

Today Pacifica is facing many challenges and needs strong leadership to overcome these challenges. I believe I can provide that leadership and I have the vision needed to move Pacifica forward. I would like to see Pacifica continue to progress in the years to come; to become financially secure, and offer the high quality of life the citizens deserve. I have spent my entire life in Pacifica; I was raised here, raised my children here and it is a community I cherish; I hope to give back to this community that have given me so much.

My main goals include the following:

1. Financial sustainability: Raise the city’s reserves, eliminate the structural deficit permanently and spend money wisely.
2. Enhance our economic base: Streamline our business permitting process, create a more business friendly environment and change the anti-business reputation that Pacifica currently faces.
3. Reduce the number of vacancies; advocate that City Council meets regularly with commercial landlords to find ways to attract businesses that would do well in Pacifica.
4. Ensure that the revitalization project on Palmetto and the creation of a city center on Beach Blvd. site is completed.
5. Build trust and transparency, encourage our citizens to be actively engaged in city government, and listen to my constituents.
6. Promote smart growth practices while preserving the natural beauty of Pacifica.


Mary Ann Nihart - 4 year seat

As a City Council and a City, we have begun to turn a corner to a brighter future.  We have been able to stop deficit spending; start the process for goal-based budgeting; re-establish an Economic Development Committee; streamline the planning office; establish a Beautification Task Force; and more.

I want to see the job through. We have much work left to do:

· Develop a sustainable economic base for our city.

· Continue to improve our aging business districts, developing ways to find and support new businesses.

· Improve information access and public engagement in local government for all of our residents and businesses.

· Improve our infrastructure.

· Increase our involvement and leadership at the countywide level to increase resource allocation

Since taking office as your Councilmember, I have always based my service to you on what is best for Pacifica. And now, our future looks brighter than ever. I’m running for re-election because I want to keep “Putting Pacifica First.”


Susan Vellone - 4 year seat

As a business woman and the 2010 President the Chamber of Commerce, I implemented change within our organization, brought on new leadership and changed the course for the betterment of our business community. City Council is the next step and needs an infusion of business owners with experience in balancing budgets, marketing, and a business plan. My main goals are to build the reserves by increasing our revenue streams and work collectively with the Chamber of Commerce in marketing our City for new businesses and tourism.



Gary Mondfrans - 2 year seat

My background is in government.

Restoring leadership and open government to the Pacifica City Councilman is Job-1.

I was twice elected to the San Bruno City Council and former Mayor of San Bruno. I am familiar with the budget process and would not need a training course on how to study and manage a budget. For the past 31 years I have been in Emergency Services with the City and County of San Francisco originally with the San Francisco Police Department and have recently retired from San Francisco's Department of Emergency Management in order to devote my time and energy to a business I establish here in Pacifica last October and initially worked both my job and my store to get this business underway. 

Pacific Passions at Barely Worn Consignments was created after I learned at a garage sale last year in the Sharp Park home where I have lived for the past 25 years that many people here in Pacifica are just getting by in this tough economy and needed a place to sell their goods in order to make ends meet. So with that in mind I signed a lease and made a three year commitment by leasing the long vacant Bearly Worn Consignment Store at 35 West Manor Drive across from the Post Office and Pacific Passions at Barely Worn Consignments was created:http://www.PacificPassions.us  .

I explained to the outgoing Mayor at our grand opening that it is through my personal belief we must first EMPOWER OURSELVES, before we can help EMPOWER OTHERS. This is precisely the message that the pilot tells you when the plane is about to crash and when the airbags start to fall from the ceiling as you are instructed to put the air bag on yourself first, then and only then can you begin to help others, like the young child or your elderly mother next to you who in turn can help others, such as the handicapped person in the aisle next to you.

I attended that all day-Sunday Study Session of the Pacifica City Council and presented many considerations for the City to study yet none of these were reported in the Pacifica Tribune nor apparently even studied further by the City Council. When Pacifica actually studies it's unique geography in a regional perspective many possibilities to City and especially in terms of emergency services can be achieved; solutions can be found by exploring how other nearby cities and agencies handled similar problems instead of by constantly needing to re-invent the wheel or paying for yet more outside consultants and other hired-guns to produce studies which may never even see the light of day. Pacifica has a wealth of local talent if only they were given just more than those 3-minutes to speak before the City Council to present their thoughts.

As I have served on agencies such as the San Mateo County Criminal Justice Council as an appointee of the San Mateo County Council of Mayors, along with such greats as former District Attorney Keith Sorenson, and on the San Mateo County Operational Area Disaster Council, as well as a representative of the Board of Supervisors to ABAG, the Association of Bay Area Government, and others, I can and do appreciate the unique opportunities available to the City of Pacifica when we begin to think beyond the box that Pacifica's current lack of leadership has placed us.

Confidence in service providers which have served Pacifica well, like the many great things accomplished by agencies like the Pacifica Resource Center and Senior Services and especially how they the help they provides multiplies many times over as many others are in turn help and empowered. Their activities must continue to be supported and encouraged. Likewise, Police and Fire Service must be provided to the residents of Pacifica on a par which must always be of the highest quality.



Mike O'Neill - 2 year seat

I am not afraid to lead and have led several initiatives at Pacifica School District.  Including property leasing, 4H Farm, Oddstad, and Filming 

I know that my experience on the Pacifica School Board brings a knowledge base that is sorely needed in City Government.  I am open to new ideas and have been told that I think outside the box.  

I want to pass onto the next generation of Pacificans the same quality of life we now share.  I think in order to pass on this quality of life we must sustain ourselves fiscally.  The lack of business acumen the past several years is not sustainable for us to remain a viable city.

The City of Pacifica at this point is an emergency room patient brought in that needs to be stabilized to get well again.

 Economic Development is critical for the long term health of the City we need more business and revenue.  That is a long term need that must happen.  

Those candidates shouting for more Economic Development are correct however they are a one trick pony in a circus not stating what they will do in the short term.  There is no switch or button that will bring major income generators to Pacifica. 

My experience on the Pacifica School Board has allowed the District to move from an academically poor performing District to one that is considered High Performing by the State of California.  As a Realtor I know for a fact that young families are moving here because of the schools and the commitment of Pacifica to our children.

I would embrace the opportunity to do for the City of Pacifica what I have helped the Pacifica School Distinct achieve.

I WANT PACIFICA TO BE A HIGH PERFORMING CITY JUST LIKE THE PACIFICA SCHOOL DISTRICT AND WE CAN DO IT TOGETHER!

I helped do it with the school I ask you to give me the opportunity to do it as a City Council person.


Rich Campbell - 2 year seat

-I have the best and most relevant experience to increase revenues in the City: private sector experience representing large home and commercial builders and public sector experience at USEPA and on Planning Commission.

-increase revenues through smart commercial development, and by streamlining residential redevelopment requirements.

-preserve existing hillside and open space protections currently in General Plan.


Victor Spano - 2 year seat

I am concerned about Pacifca's future and it's need for Economic Development.  Over the past 12 years I have been Economic Development Coordinator for City of Daly City.  I have been involved with many projects, including the Pacific Plaza Mixed Use on Junipero Serra Blvd....where the Century Theaters are, and In and Out Burger / Krispy Kreme, both which you can spot driving up 280, to mention a few.   I have assisted many commercial tenants in finding locations, getting them ready for their entitlement applications, assisting with some construction issues, leasing and occupancy.  Last year, I volunteered to help out here in Pacifica where I live.  I created the "PacificaOpportunities.com" website, which the Chamber had suggested a few months earlier, listing all the available commercial space in Pacifica. 

I was appointed to the Pacifica Economic Development Committee, where we have focused on Shopping Centers, Marketing, Tourism, and Streamlining Building Permit / Planning Processes.  The Oceana Art Gallery was an idea I brought to the table, we worked with the Art Guild and Eureka Square to bring that about.  We are also working on a Movie Night Series, like the one that occurs every year in Redwood City...which would rotate from one shopping center to another, this was my idea as well.  The idea is to draw people to our shopping centers for dining, convenience shopping and a movie.  

In addition to the Economic Development Committee I've sat in on the Chamber of Commerce's Tourism Committee. Great ideas going on there, such as enhancing Pacifica as a destination for more sporting events, weddings, film production crews and "environmental tourism".  Incredible ideas about Social marketing, joint-marketing, special events and other ideas to bring people and dollars to Pacifica are being talked about.

In March of 2012 a seat on the City Council became vacant and the Council issued a call for letters of interest.  I felt I had something to offer, and submitted a lettter.  After Ginny Jaquith was appointed, several community and business leaders approached me and strongly suggested that I run in the upcoming election.   My main goals are as follows:  1) Appoint Economic Development Manager to Fill Vacant Shops to bring Jobs back to Pacifca and enhance Sales Tax Revenues.  2) Maintain and Repair our Streets and Public Buildings; 3) Preserve our Parks, Beaches and Trails; 4) Maintain Services for Seniors; 5) Streamline Planning and Building Departments: Remove Obstacles; and 6) Balance Budget: Limit New Fees and Taxes.  I am not as keen on Cutting Expenses as I am by Growing Revenues Through Economic Development so we can Maintain and increase our levels of Municipal Services.  I am open minded and want to listen to all stakeholders anytime a decision is involved.  Ancilliary benefits of Economic Development are Support for Our Schools and Environment.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is it? That pastry factory on Palmetto isn't the only place in town putting out creampuffs.

Anonymous said...

Lot of talk about stuff council actually has little or no control over. Recycled campaign talk and not much else. Was there a group agreement to play nice this time? Nothing at all about the inflated city payroll or the ticking pension time bomb. Not a squeak about outsourcing. Guess we're good. What a relief.

Anonymous said...

Make them tell us what kind of tree they'd be. I don't know who to hug.

Anonymous said...

ABC=Anyone but Campbell

From the for profit developers legal team helping them build projects to the EPA?

Now tell me what is wrong with that picture?

Besides, Vreeland stacked the deck with attornies on the Planning Commission to chase Peebles out of town.

This always proves for $ any attorney would take either side to represent.

Be very careful with Campbell he is Vreeland 2.0

Anonymous said...

Anon@7:21 - No commenting while drunk, por favor.

Anonymous said...

Has anyone visited Mondfrans' shop?
Interesting guy to say the least.

Anonymous said...

usual methods for picking the right candidates have failed. i suggest we copy pamplona's the running of the bulls. we could call it the running of the bullshit. watch out for those potholes!

Anonymous said...

ole!

Anonymous said...

Monfrans house is interesting too.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to say the least. Your parents would be proud you are so polite.

Anonymous said...

watch out, they sympathy vote is out there just waiting for a righteous cause

Tom Clifford said...

Anonymous @7:21 Like any good attorney Commissioner Campbell represented his clients position, what is important is what he has learn in the process.Knowing Mr. Campbell I am sure he will put Pacifica first. Rich has been a great Planning commissioner asking intelligent questions and always moving the discussion forward. I can't remember a project he has not voted to approve. By the way none of the attorneys were on the planning commission when Mr.Peebles project went to the voters and the Planning Commission never saw any project proposals.

Anonymous said...

Uh, all I have to say, Tom, is "Brown Act violation". Pacifica never had the DA come down on us for a Brown Act infraction. Nice work. And Cambell is on record as saying it's no big deal. Just what we need here in town, another EPA empowered attorney making decisions.

Tom Clifford said...

Anonymous @713 Commissioner Campbell was not present during that meeting and I can not fault him for standing up for his fellow Commissioners. I know I have said things when I should have kept my mouth shut and I am sure you can say the same.

Anonymous said...

Tom
Most of the time I agree with you expect not this time. Most of the time you are the voice of reason. Campbell, was hand picked and selected by Vreeland, to stack the deck with attorneys to keep his base happy. First Campbell, claims to have left some of the largest real estate developers legal staffs. Now he is an attorney for the EPA. The same agency where Vreeland works. Please tell me you can smell the rotting fish.

The last thing Pacifica needs is another fast talking slick attorney talking out of both sides of his mouth, telling two different stories to either side.

Even worse then an empowered attorney is an empowered government attorney telling Pacifica, how to do things!