Friday, August 31, 2012

Fast food fading fast in Pacifica


 Pacifica Tribune, Letters to the Editor, 8/28/12.  "Disappearing business."  Father Piers Lahey

Where did those businesses go?
The old familiar fast food places are gone
"Editor:  I can sort of remember some of the words from that old song, "I'll be seeing you in all the old familiar places," but if the trend continues, I won't be using the song anymore.

Maybe they fell off the edge of the world
My old familiar places are biting the dust, one by one. First it was the Subway shop at the Fairmont Shopping Center, then Round Table at Linda Mar and just today I realized that Straw Hat Pizza on Oceana near Manor had faded into the sunset (though with all the fog, it's sometimes hard to watch the sunset).

As a tribute to the latest casualty,  I offer these quotations from my collection: 1) from Yogi Berra, "You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six," 2) not sure of the author, "I could get a pizza delivered in thirty minutes or less, but to get toner I had to run across town or order online and wait for an expensive overnight shipment. It was such a pain." 3) from Emma Bunton, "I love vegging out in front of the TV eating pizza!"

I wonder if other folks have lists of old familiar places and if their lists are wasting away like my list."

Posted by Kathy Meeh

No comments: