REMINDER THAT THE NEW PROGRAMS AND CARTS BEGIN THE WEEK OF MAY 3RD ON YOUR REGULAR PICKUP DAY AND YES, YOU CONTINUE TO USE YOUR OWN GARBAGE CAN ALONG WITH THE OTHER TWO CANS. Chris Porter, Recology of the Coast, General Manager 4/26/10 comment and continuation from "New Programs..." (4/20/10).... http://fixpacifica.blogspot.com/2010/04/new-programs-from-recology-of-coast.html?showComment=1272419976290
1. Regular trash (your can) - no change weekly pick-up.
2. Greenwaste/organics (green can) - begins week of May 3rd, put out with regular trash pick-up weekly.
3. Recycling (blue can) - schedule cycle begins week of May 3rd or May 10th, then put out with trash every two weeks.
Schedule link http://www.recologyofthecoast.com/pacificaRecycleSchedule.php , scroll down: Blue = May 3rd; Yellow = May 10th.
Can contents easy as 1, 2, 3
1. "Greenwaste/organics" (green can), week of May 3rd:
- Kitchen - vegetable, meat, bones, coffee/tea grounds, soiled paper plates/food wraps/table napkins, waxy cardboard cartons.
- Yard - floral/branch/tree trimmings.
- Hard plastic, cans, glass containers, bottles, jars, buckets, pill bottles.
- Light plastic containers (1-7), including pastry/food clam shells, cups, buckets, bottles, cottage cheese/yogurt/pudding/soup/salad cartons.
- Light aluminum containers, including pie pans, foil, can lids.
- Paper magazines, newspapers, bags, cardboard, tubes, paperback books, cereal and other boxes, clean paper bags.
- Soiled plastic bags, plastic forks.
- Kitty litter, dog and other pet droppings, soiled dippers.
1. To outside top of recycling can: household batteries inside a plastic zip lock bag.
2. To recycling yard, 1046 Palmetto Avenue: CFL and fluorescent light bulbs, Styrofoam blocks, larger items.
3. Clean plastic bags to where every you are recycling them now, mine go to the Safeway customer service desk.
4. Online basic information from Chris Porter http://www.mercurynews.com/pacifica/ci_14923025
5. Questions 650-355-9000. Recology of the Coast office, 2305 Palmetto Avenue, Pacifica, CA.
Who would have thought collecting, decomposing and recycling garbage would turn-out to be cool? The "New programs..." referenced article (above) also includes a related compost list of interest offered by Anonymous (4/23/10) http://www.greendivamom.com/2009/01/12/1-unusual-things-you-can-compost/ . Information above is compiled from Recology picture guides, questions answered from Chris Porter and her helpful and friendly staff. Any related information you wish to offer can increase our community effort to affect "zero waste" and is appreciated.
Posted by Kathy Meeh