Follow-up sponsor information related to the Fix Pacifica Cowell-Purisima Trail article, 7/24/11. The new 3 mile Half Moon Bay beach trail which runs horizontal along the Pacific Ocean beach is not open to dogs. Open to humans, closed to dogs.
|These dogs are not allowed on trails.|
Who are they?
Peninsula Open Space Trust. "The mission of the Peninsula Open Space Trust (POST) is to give permanent protection to the beauty, character and diversity of the San Francisco Peninsula and Santa Cruz Mountain range. POST encourages the use of these lands for natural resource protection, wildlife habitat, public recreation and agriculture for people here now and for future generations."
CA Coastal Conservancy. The California Coastal Conservancy, established in 1976, is a state agency that uses entrepreneurial techniques to purchase, protect, restore, and enhance coastal resources, and to provide access to the shore. We work in partnership with local governments, other public agencies, nonprofit organizations, and private landowners. To date, the Conservancy has undertaken more than 1,800 projects along the 1,100 mile California coastline and around San Francisco Bay. These projects often accomplish more than one Conservancy goal. Through such projects, the Conservancy:
- protects and improves the quality of coastal wetlands, streams, watersheds, and near-shore ocean waters;
- helps people get to coast and bay shores by building trails and stairways and by acquiring land and easements. The Conservancy also assists in the creation of low-cost accommodations along the coast, including campgrounds and hostels;
- works with local communities to revitalize urban waterfronts;
- helps to solve complex land-use problems;
- purchases and holds environmentally valuable coastal and bay lands;
- protects agricultural lands and supports coastal agriculture;
- accepts donations and dedications of land and easements for public access, wildlife habitat, agriculture, and open space.