Oh, another good reason for a city to not have much commercial business, keeps down the kabooms.
|Hazardous material team checking for chemicals|
When a load of garbage was being compressed inside the truck, the workers heard a loud burst followed by a cloud of toxic fumes that filled the air, said Redwood City spokesman Malcolm Smith. The workers first called a Recology supervisor, who then called 911, Smith said. The Recology supervisor also went to the scene but was later hospitalized himself after inhaling the fumes, Smith said.
The three Recology workers were all vomiting and showed symptoms of inhaling toxins, Smith said. A hazardous materials team was called to the scene and stayed on site for many hours as they combed through the garbage, testing for toxins. The hazmat team found ammonia in the air, Smith said, and was testing for other chemicals as the Recology truck was left in the alley.
Crews with the county’s Office of Emergency Services, Belmont Fire Department and the Woodside Fire Protection District assisted Redwood City firefighters at the scene. Several nearby businesses were evacuated, Smith said, but there were no other injuries reported. Fines are possible, Smith said, but it was not determined yesterday to whom the garbage actually belonged. A construction company shares the parking lot and garbage area with other businesses. The hazmat team would neutralize any toxins found in the area, Smith said. A stretch of Main Street was closed for several hours between Chestnut and Pine streets as the hazmat team checked for toxins in the area."
Posted by Kathy Meeh